10 LINKEDIN 2 COMMENTMORE

SACRAMENTO - It looked like the young man arrested on explosives charges following the Wednesday night evacuation of his neighborhood caught a break from the justice system Friday -- but it didn't last long.

Cale Crase, 25, who was being held on $500,000 bail, did not appear for his scheduled arraignment Friday afternoon. Sacramento County district attorney spokesperson Shelly Orio explained it was because her office had declined to file charges while awaiting further reports.

The Sacramento County Jail website indicated Crase would be released later in the day.

But late Friday afternoon, Crase's girlfriend was seen leaving the jail lobby without him.

"I can't talk to you," she said as she walked away.

Orio later confirmed Crase had been rearrested, offering no further explanation.

Previous story: Mother describes explosives suspect as 'science geek'

A kitchen fire in Crase's duplex, a block from the police station, led to the discovery of what was described by Citrus Heights police as "suspicious material."

After nearby homes on Peachtree Street were evacuated, explosive materials were safely detonated early Thursday morning. A commercial HAZMAT team later hauled away a number of buckets and barrels through the garage.

Crase's mother Kathy Holtz insisted her son meant nobody any harm and was simply engaged in experiments.

"He's just a science geek," Holtz told News10 on Thursday.

According to the jail website, Crase's bail remains at $500,000 on the three original booking charges: possession of a destructive device, possession of ingredients to make a destructive device and possession of a firearm silencer.

His new arraignment date is Aug. 19.

10 LINKEDIN 2 COMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://on.news10.net/1oEi5SN