News10 is making a difference in the community by partnering with City Year and AmeriCorps to renovate Leataata Floyd Elementary School on Make a Difference Day! Register by Oct. 12 to volunteer with us and have a positive impact on your community.
Here's a description of our project:
- Volunteer registration deadline: Oct. 12
- Online registration at: http://bit.ly/WJM5k2
- Project time and date: 9 a.m. until 1 p.m. Oct. 25
- Project location: Leataata Floyd Elementary School, 401 McClatchy Way, Sacramento
- What we'll be doing: The library at Leataata Floyd is in need of aesthetic and functional improvements. To improve the appearance of the library, volunteers will paint a wall mural and multiple panel murals that will be hung around the space. Additionally, participants will build shelves and tables conducive for students who will be primary users of the space. Finally, volunteers will place new seating options (carpets and bean bag chairs) around the library in an effort to encourage students to use the space for their reading pleasure. The outdoor area behind Leataata Floyd Elementary School is ripe with opportunities for student learning. New principal, Eric Chapman, has plans to build an outdoor garden aimed at teaching students about sustainable farming and permaculture. Increasing student knowledge about these topics will have a direct impact on their understanding of nutrition. Volunteers will clear trash from the area and prepare the garden for planting by weeding, tilling, and spreading fertilizer. Additionally participants will build a classroom stage and seating that will transform this outdoor area into a learning venue that will allow students to directly connect their learning in the classroom to their surroundings. To improve the appearance of the area volunteers will paint a wall mural incorporating the school's focus on Literacy and Social Emotional Learning skills.
- What to wear: Clothes you don't mind getting dirty! Don't forget your sunscreen, closed-toe shoes and bottled water.
Please note that all volunteers will undergo a background check, which is required to work on a school campus. You must be at least 8 years old to volunteer.
Join News10 to 'Make A Difference' on Oct. 25!