Davis city leaders approved a mandatory 30 percent reduction in overall water use, effective immediately.
The action is in response to the continuing drought and critically low groundwater levels, according to a city news release.
The regulations call for:
• Limiting watering to three days per week. Odd numbered properties should water on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Even numbered properties are restricted to Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. No outdoor watering permitted on Monday.
• No watering outdoors between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m., except with a hand-held container or hose with a shut-off nozzle.
• No watering outdoors when it is raining.
• Restaurants will only serve water upon request.
• No washing down pavement surfaces unless for safety or sanitation.
The Davis City Council approved the State 3 Emergency Water Shortage regulations on Tuesday.
The city called for voluntary 20 percent water reduction last January.