REDDING, Calif. (AP) - Sheriff's deputies in far Northern California are preparing to burn down a mobile home where more than 60 pounds of highly volatile explosive material was found, forcing dozens of nearby residents to evacuate.
Shasta County Sheriff's Lt. Dave Kent says the mandatory evacuations around the Redding home began last week and were expanded Friday by another 30 or so homes. Roughly 55 homes are now under evacuation orders.
Kent says the materials in the house are too unstable for deputies to even walk on the property without risking a blast. They were discovered Feb. 6. after authorities responded to an explosion at the home that took off a man's left hand.
Kent says the incineration could occur as early as Sunday. Sheriff's officials are consulting with water and air quality officials before proceeding.