SAN PABLO -Three children who were the subject of an Amber Alert Monday after they were abducted from San Pablo have been found safe in Richmond, the California Highway Patrol said.
CHP deactivated the Amber Alert at about 12:45 a.m. Tuesday. Additional details about how the children were found and their condition were not immediately available.
The Contra Costa Times reported that the children lived with their father. He was found shot to death in his backyard on Monday.
Their mother, 35-year-old Alicia Ortez, also hadn't been seen since the man was killed. The Amber Alert named Alicia Ortez as the suspect in the abduction.
CHP did not indicate early Tuesday if she had been located.
The newspaper identified the missing children as 12-year-old Hugo Ortez, 6-year-old Merari Ortez and 2-year-old Jean Carlos Ortez.
Next door neighbors Cristian Sotelo and Alondra Garcia said the children's father seemed to take good care of them.
"He seemed like a really nice dad. He was always with his kids playing, bringing them food. He was always nice," Sotelo said.
"The kids were so nice. They were not even rude to you or anything. They were so nice. Even the guy, he would like be always saying hi and everything," Garcia added..
They said they had only seen the children's mother once when she came by to visit them. The man sometimes worked on cars behind the studio apartment he had rented for the last couple of months.
Sotelo and Garcia said they had no idea anything might be wrong.
The Associated Press and ABC7 News contributed to this story