A violent standoff finally came to an end early Saturday morning. Officers spent most of Friday first trying to catch shooting suspect 32-year-old Samuel Nathan Duran, and then trying to talk him out of a Roseville home.

Massive gunfire throughout the day injured five Roseville police officers and an Immigration and Customs Enforcement's (ICE) agent.

During a news conference Saturday afternoon, Roseville police officials provided more detailson what happened Friday night.

PREVIOUS STORY: 10 agencies, 9 hours and Roseville standoff ends

The incident started around 3 p.m. Fridaywhen Roseville police officers, working with an ICE agent, were checking on some apartments in the area of 6th Street and they saw Duran riding his bike. Roseville Police Chief Daniel Hanh said Duran was wanted for violating his paroleand was a known/documented gang member.

After spotting Duran, one of the officers ran after him while the others followed in a car. Hahn said Duran fired at law enforcement first.

During the chase, the ICE agent was shot by Duran at a dirt bike park on Riverside Avenue. Hahn said a police officer got the agent in a patrol car and took him to the hospital. Fortunately, the agent did not suffer life-threatening injuries. He is "expected to make a full recovery," Homeland Security Investigations Group Supervisor Carol Webster said.

According to a Roseville Police Lt. Mark Glen, the incident commander Friday, Duran ran to a home on 6th Street and Windsor Drive where more gunfire was exchanged. Glen said Duran then ran to a home on the 600 block of Hampton Drive.

MORE: Background on Samuel Duran, suspect in Roseville law enforcement officer shootings

Roseville PD Lt. Cal Walstad said at that home a mother and her small child were inside when Duran broke in. Fortunately, the family was able to get out of the home safely.

Duran fired shots out the side of the home,woundingfive Roseville police officers, Walstad said. One officer was shot in the jaw and taken to the hospital for treatment; he was listed in serious condition Saturday morning and is expected to survive. The other four officers were injured by shrapnel; they were taken to the hospital, treated and then released.

Walstad said Duran barricaded himself inside the home, where negotiators talked to him throughout the evening and into thenight. Then around 12:30 a.m. Saturday, Duran walked out of the home with his hands up.

TIMELINE: Roseville manhunt for suspect in shooting of officers

Hahn said Duran had a gunshot wound to his hand and scrapes on his face. He was taken to the hospital for treatment then later Saturday booked into Placer County Jail. Hahn said he faces numerous attempted murder charges and a parole violation charge.


On Saturday, Roseville police and FBI agents continued the massive effort to process three crime scenesthatspreadseveral blocks along 6th Street in Roseville.

During the standoff, law enforcement erected a large perimeter around 6th Street, Windsor and Hampton drives.

"I felt like there was a terrorist attack," neighbor Desiree Gilberg said. "It seriously felt like it was 9/11 in front of our house. It was crazy."

Gilberg spent much of Friday taking cover with her children, holed up in her apartment across the street from where police cornered Sam Duran.

"We were so panicked," Gilberg said. "We didn't even know how to be an adult enough to calm our children."

Residents living along 6th Street started to hear gunshots in the area around 3 p.m.

"It's scary," Roseville resident Cathy King said. "It's scary to hear all those shots going off."

King watched the scene unfold as law enforcement chased Duran along her street.

"We were all standing here, and when we heard the second set of shots go off, [police] just started yelling at us to get inside, so we all took off running," King recalled.

Hahn said 14 to 15 homes were evacuated on Friday night. The displaced residents were then taken to the Maidu Community Center; on Saturday, the center closed after the residents left to return to their homes.

When Duran surrendered, neighbors were able to breathe.

"It was just a relief, relief to have him safe, relief to have the officers safe," King explained. "There was a bunch of them out here, so I'm glad they all got to go home, and the ones who are hurt, sounds like they're going to get to go home too, so it was a relief for all of us."

Hahn said a smaller perimeter is still up Saturday along 6th Street as CSI collects evidence. While those who live inside the new perimeter can't return home, Hahn said if they need to get items, they can walk up to the perimeter and have officers escort them to their homes.

Read or Share this story: