SACRAMENTO, CA -A new law, most of which takes effect Jan. 1, 2013, will require state oversight and regulation of red-light camera installation and operation in California.
SB 1303, signed by Gov. Brown,
· Requires camera locations be based solely on safety considerations
· Prohibits the use of red-light cameras to raise revenue
· Requires cities and counties to follow state standards in the placement and operation of cameras
· Requires adequate signs to notify drivers when red-light cameras are in use
· Makes it easier for a wrongfully ticketed driver to get a ticket cleared
· Prohibits so-called "snitch tickets" (i.e., an innocent ticket recipient may not be required to identify another driver in order to clear an inaccurate ticket)