All of the Season 18 celebs were back in the ballroom Tuesday night to see a new Dancing With the Stars champ take the mirrorball trophy.
Would it be Meryl Davis, Candace Cameron Bure orAmy Purdy?
It went to ...
First we have to tell you how ABC filled the two-hour finale:
- James Maslow and Peta Murgatroyd, who were eliminated Monday night, were back by popular Twitter demand for an encore dance of their funky freestyle. They also performed their dance to Michael Jackson's new Love Never Felt So Good.
- The team dance that never got danced live on the air on the Week 7 show because of Amy Purdy's back injury was performed by "Team Loco" to Ricky Martin's Livin' La Vida Loca.
- Iggy Azalea's Fancy got off to a rocky start with some sound issues. "I'm so sorry. There's something wrong with my ear." She took her sound piece out of her ear and went on to finish the song. And some of her lyrics, which include an f-bomb, got bleeped out.
She tweeted soon after: "I am so sorry guys! My in ears messed up and I couldn't hear the track. The dramas of live TV. (Stuff) happens. Still really enjoyed it."
- Drew Carey jived. NeNe Leakes boogied. Danica McKellar did her favorite Disney dance again to Be Our Guest. Cody Simpson performed Surfboard. Charlie White and Sharna Burgess did their cute Mary Poppins dance from earlier in the season. Reigning DWTS champ Amber Riley sang and danced.
- A clip reel featured all of Erin Andrews' best lines from the season, including when she told Maks to "Do your best Richard Sherman!"
- Charlie White and Meryl Davis reunited on the dance floor for a snippet of a dance. They were as hot on land as they are on ice. Wish ABC had shown more of the dance.
- Ariana Grande performed her hit, Problem. Christina Perri performed Human.
- Maks Chmerkovskiy finally said what we've been waiting to hear all season: In a taped rehearsal segment, he admitted he's got the hots for Meryl. "I want to ravage her and have ice-skating, big, Russian, mean babies. We're going to call them Boris and Oleg. Their nicknames are going to be Bear. Both. One nickname for both." When's he going to ask her to marry him? "Probably tomorrow," he said. Back on the live show, Maks said he really didn't want to name his kids Boris and Oleg. Meryl didn't want to answer any questions about it at all.
And finally one more dance - a fusion of two styles - from the three remaining contenders.
- Amy and Derek Hough's fusion dance was an Argentine tango and a cha cha. "It's sad, but it's amazing the amount of memories we have here," Amy said, crying and hugging Derek during a final rehearsal. "Even though this journey is ending, I'm choosing to look at it like it's just beginning for me because I've learned so much." Their dance was amazing. Derek was strong and hot. Amy was adorable. JudgesCarrie Ann Inaba, Len Goodman and Bruno Tonioli raved one more time about her skills and her spirit. "You are unforgettable," said Bruno. Final scores: 10, 10, 10 = 30 Total: 89
- Candace and Mark Ballas were goofy during rehearsals this week, except when she was serious: "If this is where God's placed me, then this is where God's placed me, and I'm so grateful for it." Their quickstep/samba fusion to Sir Duke was sweet. "It's done!" said a happy Candace when it was over. Len liked that she "just kept the faith, kept on going." Scores: 9, 9, 9 = 27 Total: 78
- Meryl and Maks rehearsed their foxtrot/cha cha. Maks has "taught me so much, not just about dance, but about growing as a person," said Meryl. They high-fived each other. In the ballroom, they brought it one final time, blowing everyone away with their style, their spins, their chemistry. The crowd wouldn't stop cheering. "The best part of the season was you two," said Carrie Ann. Len said, "This might be my last season, and if it is, I couldn't wish for a better dance to watch to finish up with." Scores: 10, 10, 10 = 30 Total: 90 Perfection!
Finally, results time.
In third place ... Candace.
And the winners of Season 18 are ... Meryl and Maks!
"Aw man," said Maks, as Meryl left it to him to talk. "It means so much. To do it with Meryl is a dream come true. There's a reason it didn't happen before -- because it was meant to happen with this one."