By Sarah Lynch
Special for USA TODAY
CAIRO - Backers of ousted president Mohammed Morsi canceled protest marches planned for Sunday, citing security concerns, multiple media outlets reported Sunday.
The Muslim Brotherhood-led coalition claimed the military had positioned snipers along the planned routes, the BBC, Al Jazeera and others reported. Earlier the group had called for protests against Morsi's ouster by the military last month as well as the recent violence that has left more than 800 dead.
The rallies, targeting Heliopolis' Roxy Square and at the Supreme Constitutional Court in Maadi, had been planned in the face of a ballooning crackdown and widening state campaign against Islamists.
Egyptian banks and the stock exchange reopened Sunday as the capital tried to get back to normal on the first day of the workweek here.
Traffic was back on the streets and some shops reopened Sunday, but with concerns that protests and violence could persist, many Egyptians remained on edge. Tahrir Square remained closed, blocked by barbed wire and security forces.
The European Union said Sunday it will "urgently review" its relations with Egypt. The Presidents of the European Commission and the European Council, Jose Manuel Barroso and Herman Van Rompuy, said Sunday in a rare joint foreign policy statement that it's the responsibility of the army and the interim government to end the violence.
They say calls for democracy and fundamental rights "cannot be disregarded, much less washed away in blood," adding "the violence and the killings of these last days cannot be justified nor condoned."
EU foreign ministers are expected to hold an emergency meeting on Egypt this week.
On Wednesday, security forces crushed two protest camps where people stayed for more than six weeks to demand Morsi's reinstatement. Over the weekend, they battled with protesters after the Brotherhood called for a "Friday of Anger."
On Saturday, security forces surrounded, then cleared, a central Cairo mosque that protesters had turned into a makeshift hospital and morgue after fighting broke out Friday, and exchanged gunfire with assailants shooting from the mosque's minaret.
Since Wednesday, some Morsi supporters have waged a violent retaliatory campaign on churches and Christian properties, attacking dozens of sites as well as police stations.
Egypt is facing "war by the forces of extremism" and will confront it with "security measures within the framework of law," Mostafa Hegazy, adviser to Egypt's interim president, said in a news conference on Saturday.
The government also announced Saturday that it is examining possibilities of dissolving the Muslim Brotherhood, the 85-year-old movement that has won in every election since the 2011 ouster of Hosni Mubarak. Over the past six weeks, many of its leaders and members were jailed, including Morsi, the nation's first freely elected president.
Contributing: The Associated Press