ROSEVILLE, CA - A golden eagle with lead poisoning that veterinarians were trying to save died this past Sunday.
STORY: Eagle being treated for lead poisoning
Janet Goodban with Wildlife Rehabilitation and Release reported the eagle's demise.
The bird was found on the ground at East Park Reservoir in Colusa County nearly a month ago. It was being cared for at the Bird and Pet Clinic in Roseville.
When first measured, the eagle's lead levels were extraordinarily high and clinic staff had been able to bring them down substantially in a week's time. However, the bird was unable to use her feet or talons and had some paralysis of her tongue. She also had kidney problems.
Veterinarian Dr. Vicki Jospeh said the most likely cause of the lead poisoning was from contaminated prey the eagle ate.