ELK GROVE, CA - Two Elk Grove middle school students were hurt Monday when a science experiment went awry.
Liz Graswich, spokeswoman for the Elk Grove Unified School District, said the kids were in a Joseph Kerr Middle School science class being held at a nearby park. Upon preliminary investigation, chlorine tablets and rubbing alcohol may have been combined and the resulting chemical reaction caused a small explosion.
According to Graswich, the students suffered injuries which she described as similar to a first-degree sunburn. One student was transported to a hospital at the parent's request and the other went home with a parent, Graswich said.
The mishap occurred at approximately 2 p.m.
The district will conduct an investigation to determine if curriculum standards were being followed, Graswich said.