WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House has released its long-sought recipe for beer.
President Barack Obama has been talking about the White House brew, but he and other officials have refused to disclose details of how it's made, despite an online petition and repeated questions from reporters.
Well, beer lovers, the secret is out.
White House Honey Brown Ale, the first beer brewed on the White House grounds, includes light malt extract, amber crystal malt, honey, gypsum, yeast and corn sugar.
The White House made the recipe public Saturday while Obama was campaigning in Iowa.
In a blog post entitled "Ale to the Chief," the White House said that after "fermenting such a buzz, we decided we better hop right to it" and release the recipe.
RECIPE: White House Beer Recipe
Here's the recipe to the White House Honey Ale:
- 2 (3.3 lb) cans light malt extract
- 1 lb light dried malt extract
- 12 oz crushed amber crystal malt
- 8 oz Bisquit Malt
- 1 lb White House Honey
- 1 1/2 oz Kent Goldings Hop Pellets
- 1 1/2 oz Fuggles Hop pellets
- 2 tsp gypsum
- 1 pkg Windsor dry ale yeast
- 3/4 cup corn sugar for priming
- In an 12 qt pot, steep the grains in a hop bag in 1 1/2 gallons of sterile water at 155 degrees for half an hour. Remove the grains.
- Add the 2 cans of the malt extract and the dried extract and bring to a boil.
- For the first flavoring, add the 1 1/2 oz Kent Goldings and 2 tsp of gypsum. Boil for 45 minutes.
- For the second flavoring, add the 1/2 oz Fuggles hop pellets at the last minute of the boil.
- Add the honey and boil for 5 more minutes.
- Add 2 gallons chilled sterile water into the primary fermenter and add the hot work into it. Top with more water to total 5 gallons. There is no need to strain.
- Pitch yeast when wort temperature is between 70-80°. Fill airlock halfway with water.
- Ferment at 68-72° for about seven days.
- Rack to a secondary fermenter after five days and ferment for 14 more days.
- To bottle, dissolve the corn sugar into 2 pints of boiling water for 15 minutes. Pour the mixture into an empty bottling bucket. Siphon the beer from the fermenter over it. Distribute priming sugar evenly. Siphon into bottles and cap. Let sit for 2 to 3 weeks at 75°.
Check out the recipe to the White House Honey Porter on the White House blog - RECIPE: White House Beer Recipe
Take a look behind the scenes of the brewing process:
The Associated Press