SACRAMENTO -- September 19 marks the treasured day for pirates around the world as it's "Talk like a Pirate Day."
Here are some Pirate terms to get ye through the day:
- Ahoy! - Hello!
- Avast! - It can be used in a sense of surprise.
- Aye! - Why yes, I agree most heartily with everything you just said or did!
- Aye, Aye! - I'll get right on that!
- Bilge-sucking - Insult
- Bucko - A buccaneer
- Davy Jones' Locker - Fabled mythical place at the bottom of the ocean where the evil spirit of Davy Jones brings pirates and sailors to die.
- Jolly Rodger - Pirate's flag including white skull and cross bones.
- Pirate's Booty! - Pirate's treasure and also a modern day snack that's' good anytime! Pirate's Booty is a deliciously baked rice and corn puff that's baked, all-natural trans-fat and gluten-free.
- Poopdeck - The part of a ship farthest to the back, which is usually above the captains quarters.
- Scallywag - Mild insult similar to rapscallion or rouge.
- Scurvy Dog - The pirate talking directly to you with mild insult.
- Shark Bait - Will soon join Davy Jones' Locker.
- Shiver me timbers! - Comparable to "Holy crap!"
- Son of a biscuit eater - Insult directed towards someone you don't like.
- Three sheets to the wind - Someone who is very drunk.
- Walk the plank - Punishment in which a person walks off a board jutting over the side of the ship while at sea. The ultimate consequence is drowning and a visit to Davy Jones' Locker.
- Yo Ho Ho - Cheerful expression to demand attention