SACRAMENTO, CA - An 11-year-old was safe and unhurt, but there were a few anxious moments Sunday after the boy accidently locked himself inside a gun safe at a Sacramento Costco store, according to Sacramento fire officials.
The incident happened at 1:40 p.m. Sunday at the Costco at 1600 Expo Parkway near Cal Expo, Sacramento Fire Capt. Jim Doucette said.
Fire crews were on the scene in four minutes after the boy became trapped in the safe on the showroom floor. The safe's locking mechanism is battery-operated, but when store personnel tried to get the safe open, the battery was either dead or missing, leaving the boy inside, Doucette said.
A new battery was installed, but the safe's timer wouldn't allow the combination to work immediately.
Fearing the boy could run out of air, firefighters were preparing to drill air holes in the safe when the lock mechanism began to work and the boy was released.
The boy was not hurt during the incident, Doucette said.
Join local moms who are talking about this story on momslikeme.