FAIR OAKS, Calif. - A family and their two pets escaped an early morning house fire that firefighters say started in the fireplace.
Sac Metro crews were called to 7242 Santa Susana Way in Fair Oaks around 3 a.m. on Thursday and found the home involved with flames shooting from the roof.
Firefighters immediately searched the home for people, and after finding nobody inside, extinguished the fire.
The homeowners told Sac Metro firefighters they had a fire burning and went to bed Wednesday night.
Firefighters on scene said embers must have gotten out of the fireplace while the people were sleeping and sparked the fire.
The home sustained "moderate" damage but no financial estimate of damage was provided.