SACRAMENTO, CA - The family of a Sacramento man killed in an officer-involved shooting filed a civil lawsuit in federal court Thursday.
Forty-seven-year-old Lamont Harmon's family claims Sacramento County sheriff's deputies used excessive force by shooting Harmon last Feb. 6.
"All I want is justice for my son," said mother Annie Harmon. "Anytime a 47-year old can't walk the street from a store where he left without getting killed, there's something wrong with the system.".
That night, Lamont Harmon bought some items at a mini-mart then took a short-cut through a K-Mart parking lot heading to his mother's home. That same night, Sacramento police were looking for a suspected car thief. Deputies assisting police officers stopped Harmon during his walk.
The lawsuit says Harmon answered questions when stopped by deputies but then turned to walk away. Deputies fired a Taser gun. Harmon feared for his life and ran.
The lawsuit goes on to say deputies pulled out their guns, firing 18 shots killing him.
"Why was deadly force used on a man who was not armed and had a bag of potato chips and soda?" said Dewitt Lacy, the family's attorney.
Lacy says police had already arrested a suspect in the stolen car case when they stopped Harmon.
The Sacramento Police Department is handling the investigation. Their investigation says Harmon made a "furtive move" when deputies ordered him to stop after the Taser didn't halt him.
Lacy is reviewing surveillance at two businesses and a nearby church.
The family is seeking $10 million in damages from Sacramento County.