SACRAMENTO VALLEY, CA - An 82-year-old man was among 18 men arrested Tuesday morning on suspicion of viewing, distributing and producing child pornography over the Internet, according to authorities.
Previously, investigators with the joint local, state and federal Sacramento Valley Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force had executed search warrants for computers of the accused and had discovered approximately 50,000 child pornographic images and videos, according to Sgt. Tim Curran with the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department.
One of those arrested in the "Operation Nutcracker" sting was Robert Winters. Winters, 82, was allegedly in the process of downloading child porn when police served a search warrant at his home two weeks ago, investigators said.
Photos of Winters and some of the men arrested accompany this story.
Winters' neighbor, Nancy Nunes, said she was totally surprised by his arrest.
"I never would have guessed that in a million years. I've seen him with his two grandkids out," Nunes said.
Another neighbor, Mary Quinto, said she was disturbed that she had let her 12-year-old daughter bring bread by herself to Winters.
The arrests took place around the Sacramento Valley.
"They know what they're doing is wrong and they can't stop themselves," said Det. James wIlliams with the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department. "It's not just looking at pictures, it's somebody's child who was victimized."