ELK GROVE, Calif. - An Elk Grove home was damaged in an early-morning fire that firefighters say was caused by spontaneous combustion.
According to the Cosumnes Fire Dept., firefighters were called to the home on the 8500 block of Hydrangea Ct. around 3:15 a.m. Tuesday after the sleeping occupants were awoken by sounding smoke detectors.
Cosumnes firefighters arrived at the scene and with assistance from the Sacramento Fire Dept. and Sac Metro Fire, were able to contain the fire to the garage and attic.
An ensuing investigation revealed the fire started when a collection of paper towels soaked with linseed oil spontaneously combusted in a plastic trash can outside the home and spread to the adjacent garage, said firefighters.
The Cosumnes Fire Dept. urged people to remember to place rags soaked with flammable materials in a metal container with a tight sealing lid to prevent air fueling a possible ignition.
No estimate of total damage to the home was provided.