SACRAMENTO, CA - You don't need to buy marinara sauce for your homemade pizza, here's a recipe to make the perfect sauce.
Sacramento Natural Foods Co-Op's Janet McDonald shares her recipe on how to preserve tomatoes and make homemade pizza sauce.
- 3 pounds of tomatoes peeled and rough chopped
- 6 oz. tomato paste
- 1 ½ TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS fresh or 2 tsp dry basil
- 1 ½ tsp oregano
- 1 ½ tsp sugar
- ½ tsp minced garlic
- 1 ½ tsp sea salt
- Mix all the ingredients together in a pot on the stove
- Let the sauce simmer for about 25 minutes
- When done, you can put the sauce on your pizza or can it for later use