13-year-old Natalie Giorgi
CARMICHAEL, CA - The parents of 13-year-old Natalie Giorgi said they have gone through excruciating pain since her tragic death and are now they are working educate other parents and children.
Natalie Giorgi died after she accidentally took a bite of a Rice Krispies treat with peanut butter while at Camp Sacramento in late July. The teen had a severe peanut allergy; about 20 minutes after eating the treat, she started vomiting, then had trouble breathing and went into cardiac arrest. Natalie Giorgi was taken to a hospital where she was later pronounced dead.
RELATED STORY: Reaction to dessert treat claims teen at Camp Sacramento
To honor their daughter and help bring awareness to food allergies, Louis and Joanne Giorgi created The Natalie Giorgi Sunshine Foundation. The goal of the foundation is to enlighten the minds of people to the dangers of food allergies.
RELATED STORY: Family warns of food allergy dangers after teen's death
"Natalie would be thrilled that people are now starting to think about it and saying, 'Wait a second, I never took that child's food allergy seriously.' She'd like that," Natalie's mother Joanne Giorgi said.
Since Natalie's death, the family has learned Natalie's 11-year-old sister Catherine has developed an allergy to peanuts as well.
The Giorgis said they also want policies in place in schools and at kids' sporting events to help protect children from allergies. They also want parents who have children with food allergies to come up with a plan just in case something should happen.
"If we can change the minds of certain communities that foods can be lethal, we want people to be educated," her father Louis Giorgi said.
You can learn more information children allergies at The Natalie Giorgi Sunshine Foundation