PLACER COUNTY, Calif. - A fire at a home in Placer County rendered a husband and wife homeless Wednesday morning.
Firefighters on scene said the homeowners awoke to the sounding smoke alarm and were able to evacuate the house. However, the couple had to drive a considerable distance to call 911 for support, as their cell phone had burned in the fire.
Responders from Placer County and Cal Fire were dispatched to the home on Clipper Heights Place around 3:20 a.m., but by the time they arrived, the house was beyond salvaging, said firefighters.
The man was treated for smoke inhalation. His wife was not injured.
No information was provided on the cause of the fire.