CHICO, Calif. (AP) - Chico State University is suspending all Greek activities after a student died of alcohol overdose.
The Chico Enterprise-Record reports that President Paul Zingg said Thursday that fraternity and sororities will be barred from recruiting students or having social events until the spring semester.
Butte County officials say student Mason Sumnicht died Thursday of an alcohol overdose.
The campus newspaper The Orion reports that Sumnicht was pledging the fraternity Sigma Pi.
In addition to the young man's death, Zingg says recently there have been other problems involving fraternities and sororities, including allegations of hazing, sexual assaults and drinking with potential new members.
Zingg says students don't get a "free pass" for allowing a brother to drink 21 shots on his 21st birthday and "pass out in his vomit."
The Associated Press