; Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning (18) drops back to pass as San Diego Chargers linebacker Melvin Ingram (54) rushes during the fourth quarter at Qualcomm Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Jake Roth-US PRESSWIRE
Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos stormed back from 24 points down in the second half to stun the Chargers in San Diego on Monday night. But where does this comeback rank in the annals of come-from-behind classics?
We ranked the top 5 comebacks in history and gave our opinion where we feel Monday night's game ranks among the best:
1. Buffalo Bills vs Houston Oilers - Trailing 35-3 in the third quarter of the playoffs, backup quarterback Frank Reich led the Bills back in the fourth to stun the Oilers in OT. The most legendary of all NFL comebacks to date.
2. Indianapolis Colts vs Tampa Bay Bucs - Peyton Manning rallied the Colts from a 35-14 deficit with four minutes (yes, that's four minutes) left in regulation, sending the game into overtime on Ricky Williams' 1-yard touchdown run with 35 seconds to play. The Colts won it in overtime on a Mike Vanderjagt field goal.
3. New York Jets vs Miami Dolphins - The Dolphins had it all their way for three quarters, then Vinny Testaverde unleashed an offensive assault in the fourth quarter to rally the Jets from 23 points down with an unforgettable lob to offensive lineman Jumbo Elliot with 42 seconds remaining. The Jets then went on to win what is now referred to as the "Monday Night Miracle" by New Yorkers and the "Monday Night Meltdown" by south Floridians.
4. San Francisco 49ers vs New Orleans Saints - Down 35-7 at halftime, Joe Montana led one of his greatest fourth-quarter comebacks, but needed Ray Wersching's 36-yard field goal to win it.
5. Chicago Bears vs Arizona Cardinals - Down 20-0 at halftime, Chicago returned two fumbles for touchdowns in the second half. Then Devin Hester returned a punt 83 yards for a score with 2:58 remaining to help lift the Bears over the Cardinals despite quarterback Rex Grossman's 6 turnovers.
6. Denver Broncos vs San Diego Chargers - It didn't crack the top 5, largely due to the fact that Manning's miracle was helped by Phillip Rivers absolute ineptitude in the second half. Nevertheless, it was a remarkable feat to spot the Chargers a 24-0 lead at halftime, then catch and blow by them with 35 second-half points.