Photo courtesy Sacramento Metro Fire
SACRAMENTO - Smoldering ash is believed to be the cause of a fire that damaged two homes in Sacramento County early Saturday morning.
Sacramento Metro Fire and Cosumnes Fire responded to a house fire in the 10000 block of Winged Foot Drive in Sacramento County around 12:40 p.m.
Fire crews arrived to find an exterior fire between two homes. The fire had extended into the garage and attic above the garage at one of the homes and also scorched the exterior of a neighboring home.
No one was home when firefighters arrived and no one was injured in the blaze, according to Assistant Chief Walt White.
White says that the cause of the fire is believed to be smoldering ash from a BBQ that was discarded into a plastic garbage can.
Metro Fire reminds residents that if you have a fire, weather in a fireplace, BBQ or outdoor fire pit to only place discarded ash in a non-combustible container with a lid and to make sure it is completely extinguished.
Sacramento Metro Fire Department