SACRAMENTO, CA - A cigarette is suspected to be the cause of a house fire that killed a dog Friday night.
The Sacramento Metro Fire Department responded to reports of a fire shortly before 8 p.m. on Whitney Avenue in the Arden-Arcade area.
Crews were able to quickly extinguish a smoldering mattress and box spring that appeared to been burning for quite some time.
Fortunately, the fire did not spread to the rest of the home; however, there was extensive damage throughout.
The only resident of the home was not there at the time of the fire and returned home while crews were on scene. The woman then informed crews that her dog was inside.
Fire crews located the dog, but despite recuscitative efforts the dog did not survive.
Though the cause of the fire remains under investigation, smoldering ash from a cigarett is suspected.
Sacramento Metro Fire said this is the third suspected smoking related fire in a week, as well as the third dog to die as a result of fires this week.
The fire department advises that "If you smoke, put it out. All the way. Every time", and to dispose of ash and smoke material in a non-combustible container with a lid.