LIVE VIDEO: News10 at 11:00pm    Watch
 

Rooftop fire at Vegas Strip hotel ruled accidental

7:05 PM, Jul 31, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Fire investigators say a rooftop fire that sent smoke into upper floors of a Las Vegas Strip resort was caused by the malfunction of a cooling unit.

The fire atop the 36-story Treasure Island resort was quickly doused at about 9 a.m. Tuesday.

Medics checked 14 people at the scene, but Clark County spokeswoman Stacey Welling says no one was hospitalized and no serious injuries were reported.

Fire officials found the malfunction was in a swamp cooler that uses evaporating water to cool air being drawn into the hotel.

The cause was ruled an accident.

Welling says firefighters could see smoke on the 36th floor after it was evacuated, and some smoke was detected on other floors.

Damage is estimated at about $20,000.

The Associated Press

Most Watched Videos