LIVE VIDEO: News10 Mornings    Watch

3 injured in south Sacramento garage fire

6:38 PM, Jun 17, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

SACRAMENTO, CA - Two firefighters suffered heat exhaustion while fighting a garage fire in south Sacramento Sunday morning.

About 24 firefighters responded to the home on the 8200 block of White Sands Way around 10:30 a.m., Sacramento Metro Assist. Chief Scott Cockrum said.

The 44 -year-old and 55-year-old firefighters were transported to a nearby hospital for treatment.

The scorching temperatures made it tough for fire crews.

"With all the gear firefighters have going into a fire, it's close to 100 degrees," Battalion Chief Rick Riggs said. "They are thermally insulated so they hold the heat in as well as their body temperature increasing dramatically."

A resident of the home suffered minor burns to his face was also transported.

"It's too bad it happened on Father's Day like this. He is a super good guy," neighbor Neil Mojescu said. "I saw him taken away on the stretcher. It's unfortunate, but it happened."

The victim was working on a Chevy Truck in the garage when the engine caught fire.

"There was a spark. He claims there was a flame that came out from underneath it," Riggs said. "So he immediately ran into the house and got his family outside."

The fire was contained to the garage and truck, with some damage extending into the home.


Most Watched Videos