San Francisco Giants slugger Pablo Sandoval making a rehab appearance for the San Jose Giants in Stockton against the Ports.
STOCKTON, CA - Just as San Francisco Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval was preparing for his first rehab appearance for the San Francisco Giants Single-A affiliate, he was also the subject of an investigation by the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Department in a sexual assault case.
The case is currently ongoing and no charges have been filed against Sandoval, who cooperated with authorities.
Meanwhile, the 25-year-old Sandoval played his first game with the San Jose Giants in Stockton, preparing to return to San Francisco's lineup later this week. He's been out since May 4 after suffering a broken hamate bone in his left hand.
Sandoval deferred to his lawyer and offered no comment when asked about the incident.
"I know you guys are goin to ask the questions but it's a process that's going on, so I cannot talk about it," Sandoval told News10 before the game on Saturday afternoon.
Sandoval's attorney Eric Geffon released a statement on Saturday afternoon.
"On Friday, June 1, Pablo Sandoval voluntarily met with the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Department related to a consensual, personal relationship of a sexual nature that took places earlier that day. Pablo fully cooperated with the Sheriff's Department. Out of respect for the process, we have no further comment at this time."
The incident is alleged to have occured in a hotel resort near Santa Cruz.
Meanwhile, Sandoval went 1-for-4 with a broken-bat single as a designated-hitter role in his first game with San Jose during a 5-3 loss in Stockton against the Ports before a crowd of 5,251.
He's expected to make two more appearances with the San Jose Giants in Stockton through Monday.
"I just want to come back healthy and help my team win," Sandoval said.
By Sean Cunningham, SCunningham@News10.net