LIVE VIDEO: News10 Mornings    Watch

What's Buggin' You? Potholes can be dangerous, annoying and expensive for drivers

10:22 AM, Oct 31, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

SACRAMENTO, CA -- Driving over potholes bugs most drivers, particularly in California where many of the roads are overdue for repair.

Rough roads near a south Sacramento business were so annoying, the owner contacted News10 reporter Kate Larsen.

"I have to go from the fast lane and shoot all the way across at the last minute to take my right onto Florin to get home to the Pocket," says Cat Johnson, owner of Grimz Gym on Power Inn Road and Industrial Parkway.

Johnson drives down a 1.3-mile stretch of Power Inn Road in south Sacramento from her gym at Industrial Parkway to Florin Road, where a series of old patch jobs are cracking and turning into potholes. "It bugs me, it scares me when we're going home at 10:30 at night. I don't want the car to be damaged."

Norm Madison, owner of Advanced Tire Services in downtown Sacramento, says potholes can damage your car and cost you between $80 and $1,200 for repairs.

"Bust a front-end part or knock wheels out of allignment, you can have rapid tire wear, it's dangerous to drive and it can cost you on gas mileage," Madison said.

Reza Moghissi, chief of maintenance and operations at the Sacramento County Department of Transportation, says he doesn't have enough money for all the needed repairs in Sacramento County. "We have a lot of roads with old pavement and part of the problem is we haven't had sufficient funds."

According to Moghissi, Sacramento County received $18 million in federal stimulus dollars, which has been spent on road repairs in high traffic areas. However, Moghissi agreed that Power Inn and Florin Roads should get fixed.

"Power Inn would qualify for federal stimulus money and in fact, we have a portion of Power Inn we are planning to overlay next year,: he said.

Moghissi says the county will patch up the stretch of Power Inn Road in the next few weeks.  Kate Larsen let Cat Johnson know the development, and we'll keep you posted.

If there is a pothole you want to report, you can call 311 if you live in the city of Sacramento or (916) 875-5171 to reach SACDOT customer service for road damage in unincorporated Sacramento County.

If there is something in your neighborhood or community that is bugging you, please bug Kate. You can email her at


Most Watched Videos