LIVE VIDEO: News10 Mornings    Watch

Police: Suspect in Twin Rivers police shooting dies in custody

10:35 PM, Oct 23, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

SACRAMENTO, CA - The man suspected of shooting a Twin Rivers police officer died in police custody Saturday night.

Tyrone Smith, 32, was arrested on the 3500 block of Branch Street in Sacramento around 11:15 p.m., Sacramento police Sgt. Andrew Pettit said.

RELATED STORY: Police arrest suspect in Twin Rivers officer shooting

On the way to the police station at 5303 Franklin Blvd., Smith became unresponsive, Acting Police Chief Dana Matthes said.

Matthes said in-car video shows the officers regularly checking on Smith's condition, and then pulling over at at Jimboys Tacos parking lot on Franklin Boulevard when he appears to be unresponsive.

"He (the officer) gets out, checks for the pulse, there's no pulse, at that point they remove him from the vehicle, begin CPR and request medical," Matthes said.

The Sacramento Fire Department transported the suspect to a nearby hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

RELATED STORY: Suspect in Sacramento police custody dies

Peck said the suspect's death was not the result for police action.

"Our preliminary investigation has shown that our officer's actions, they acted appropriately. It was minimal force to take the suspect into custody and at this point we believe that our officers have done nothing wrong," said Matthes at a Sunday evening press conference at police headquarters. 

Police searched for Smith for nearly nine hours before he was arrested. Matthes said around 11p.m. Saturday, police spotted Smith inside the perimeter. He tried to run from police, but was quickly spotted by a helicopter, Matthes said.

Matthes said Smith broke through the perimeter where police were ready to arrest him. While police tried to apprehend Smith, he tried to escape. Matthes said at one point officers had to push Smith to the ground so he wouldn't be able to escape. She said he'd been through a significant exertion trying to run from police.

"He had jumped over numerous fences, backtracking back and forth, and then comes out at a point where we actually had multiple officers there," said Matthes.

Officers put Smith in the back of the police car on his stomach. Mattes said minimal force was used on Smith.

During the transport, officers kept checking on Smith to make sure he was secure. Matthes said while the police were still on Highway 99, Smith became unresponsive. The officer told his partner to pull over so he could check Smith.

When the police car was stopped, the officers found that Smith had expired.

Matthes said Smith wasn't complaining of any medical issue or pain while he was in custody.

Twin Rivers police spokesperson William Cho said the 25-year-old police officer who was shot multiple times is awake at the UC Davis Medical Center. Cho said he is cracking jokes with family.

RELATED STORY: Twin Rivers cop awake at hospital

The police officer, who has been with the department for a year and a half, was shot multiple times after trying to pull over the suspect and being lead on a chase.


Most Watched Videos