Video games are probably on a lot of people's wish lists this holiday season -- and there are more than enough from which to choose. How do you know what games will and won't be hot? That's where News10's Game Guys come in.
To make things easier between now and Christmas (or Hanukkah, Kwanza, Festivus, etc.), we have compiled a list of suggestions for every age group.
For younger gamers:
- Consider games rated "E" and "E10+" such as Skylanders: Giants from Activision (PS3, 360, Wii, Wii U, 3DS), Paper Mario: Sticker Star from Nintendo (3DS), and the new Pokémon games from Nintendo (DS).
For teenage and adult gamers:
- Sports games, which are typically rated "E" and "E10+", such as NBA 2K13 from 2K Sports (PS3, 360, Wii, Wii U, PC, PSP), Madden NFL 13 from EA Sports (PS3, 360, Wii, Wii U, PS Vita), and FIFA 13 from EA Sports (PS3, PS2, 360, Wii, Wii U, PC, PSP, PS Vita, 3DS) are great gifts for fans of each's respective sport.
- For non-sports fans, hot "T" rated games include Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception from SCEA (PS3), WWE '13 from THQ (PS3, 360, Wii), and Forza Horizon from Microsoft (360). "M for Mature" games worth checking out for gamers over the age of 18 include Call of Duty: Black Ops II from Activision (PS3, 360, Wii U, PC), Halo 4 from 343 Industries (360), and Dishonored from Bethesda (PS3, 360).
- Games that the whole family can play can really be a lot of fun and bring family members closer together. Some great options here are the "E" rated Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune video games from THQ (PS3, 360), the "E10+" rated Just Dance 4 from Ubisoft (PS3, 360, Wii, Wii U), and the "T" rated Dance Central 3 from Microsoft (360).
- 2012 saw three new game consoles and all of them would make great gifts. Sony released a new handheld platform called PlayStation Vita. Nintendo released two: the 3DS XL (a larger version of its already-existing 3DS), and the just-released Wii U.
- For those looking for peripherals to go with existing hardware, consider extra gamepads or a high-performance gaming headset.
And if you're still stuck without a clue, gift cards are always a great gift idea.